Forty years of documenting the Great Sphinx of Giza
In 1979, Mark Lehner and James Allen started work on the first comprehensive mapping of the Sphinx.
- They studied its structure and geology
- They documented every detail
- Their goal was to determine how and when this iconic monument was built
- Recorded its current state of preservation
- Their data is now available thanks to a grant from ARCE’s Antiquities Endowment Fund
- If you’d like to search the data yourself, good starting points are the project homepage or try browsing some of the over 5500 photographs and 364 maps and drawings and see what you find!